Monday, March 6, 2017

Byron "big baby" van buren at hawk mt shelter

  Yesterday, my first day, I walked up to the summit, about .09 miles up and back, of Springer Mountain with 12 members of my family and extended family.  It is the official starting place. It was quite the caravan. Then, I walked the trail about three miles to Stover Shelter. At the shelter I was told  the next shelter 8 miles away was packed so I grabbed a spot in the shelter with a few other guys and gals. One of the girls, Sacramento Sally, said with all that family sending you off you are a big baby. "Where you from Big Baby? " she asked.
So I got my trail name on the first day. Not the one I had expected such as Skywalker or Nashville Star. Ah well....
KM told me that a giant rat had eaten into her food bag the night before and she woke up screaming. She showed me the inch long hole. I told her she should have just flicked it out of the tent and she smirked, "no way in hell."
I had a rough time sleeping last night, even after gong to sleep at 7. It was cold and I kept hearing scratching sounds near my backpack where I had slipped a piece of chicken the day before. I went to sleep with eyes open.

1 comment: